Thursday 25 October, 2007

Some thing called "first job"...... its boredom and frustration from the same which made me write this....

The court was silent, some were a pin was dropped, fingernail nibbled, all could be heard. The tension in the air ousted the smell of sweat in the air. A young man was hanging on the cross, with questions like arrows fired at him. The judge was happy to be sitting there, just judging it. He would have been dead if he were in that man’s shoes.
“Yes Mr. Renjith, why do you want to quit?”, barked the attorney.
“eh, mm, i… no… but… some how”……… my mouth was dry.
“when did you get placed with your current company”,
“i.. i.. don’t…”
“ last November 23, is that the date?”
“ah, yes… may be.. but.. yes..” courage was the last thing I had in my mind.
“How did you get placed?”, I could not even breath with that interval, my mind was running for an answer, or at least a cover…….
“eh, company … campus… first day… placements….” nothing from my mouth made any sense.
“It was one of the first company in your campus and you got through it, rite?”, the end of the question, dearly pointed to the start of another, but I didn’t have a choice, “yes”
“Why the HELL did you sit for the company if you want to quit it before a good quarter of an year?” the “hell” raised a few eye brows, but it restricted to that as they were dealing with major crime than that.
“then why, why, I am asking you why?” the pigeons took off from the roof of the court. But they could soon settle as the silence after this lasted for long.
“You wanted to have one of the best companies on the campus, and the best package, also the easiest of the working profiles, and hence you sat for that. Luck of yours, you got through as well, isn’t that so?”
“ah, i…. cant be….. so sure” was that so? Even I had a loads of doubts when out of the many students in IMDR, I was among the first few to be selected. Hah, banks were not the primary choice of many, so even I did not think I had very much a contribution to that.
“Then what is the problem now?” he was as if he never wanted an answer.
“eh… Chennai.. I never asked…. Eh.. it is toug” “what?” oh, looks like he himself have made Chennai out. He looked more menacing than ever.
Where is the door? I simple looked around, and then found the heavy chains clamping me to the ground and then the spikes distancing me from the door further.
“What is the problem with Chennai?”
“Language….. Tamil.. friends.. travelling… climate”… I muttered what ever I had in store against Chennai.
“what all languages do you know in accordance with your application form to your company?” “eh… mm.. I don’t..” “it says Tamil – understand and speak, THEN?”… that question hung in the air for a long time in front of me, then I could see it transform into a sword and cut through the air towards me…..
“friends….”, I raised my defense… “how many IMDRites are there in Chennai and how many CETians?” “eh eh, about 10” “wont you call all of them your friends?” “but they stay far….” “how far” “about an hour by bus” “so u cant go see them?” “yes” “how far is your office from your stay?” “about half an hour!” what is he coming to, the thought itself had me in soup! “then you should not be going to office every alternate days!!!!!”… ooppppsss…. Now wat????
“how do u rate your team?” “gud” “gud in what sense? You don’t have the nuts to call them good in business as u r still to crack a beans in that!!!” “I mean…. They r good guys… friendly….” “friendly” “eh… yes… very much” … “ then where does the problem of friends come?”
“travelling in that climate… I cant…” I clung on to the last excuse I had, this would save me, Chennai is ill famed always for its climate. I had though in a scenario where nothing works out, I would use it as my last resource…
“where are you from?” “….. Kerala….” What he was upto now!!!!! “what is the average temperature there?” “ around 25 deg!!!!” and humidity?” “arnd 90” … “for your kind information, it’s the same in Chennai, now what?”
“eh, eh, mm… my family…” “how many years have you been out of your state?” “4 years!” “how many times did you left your studies ya enjoyment to return back to your family?” “… eh.. that is not” “answer to point, none…. Then why now?”

The dark colour of his coat, looked gruesome dark now. I could not see for myself why I want to quit the job. I could not complain about the pay, about the profile, about the company. Still I had a feeling, I should quit the job, at least I should take a transfer.

“do you want to join a team which is not doing good?” “no”, “that cancels your west team”
“ a team where there is too many MTs to handle?” “no”
“ a team where biasesness runs?” “no”
“a team where there is no start or end, just you?” “no”

“or join a team which already have the experience and have a comfortable lead?” …. “mm.. still… some where… aaaaaaaahh!!!!”

He had made me myself believe that I am the biggest fool of the world. The audience where already making their way to the door, and I felt the case is almost closed.

“NO, I would quit!!!!! I want to quit!!!” I screamed…. But my sound did not come out, my tongue seems to have failed me!!

“why?” my brain asked my tongue. Here I am happy I did not had to make much of cold calls nor do I have to take heavy talking, with my boss around. So I don’t want to leave Chennai, my tongue said.

Logic soon followed my tongue, “ you see, career wise, its best to be in Chennai.”

Eyes and hair said, “take care of us when you roam around and we do not have much issue with Chennai!” oh, all are leaving my side hah?

I thought “but still there is something nagging me, the occasional firing, the regular stupidities, the frequent bullying, who would account all thes…..”

“ITS BEEN ORDERED IN ACCORDANCE WITH GPC 156/09/87293, THAT MR. RENJITH G NAIR IS MEANT TO STAY ON JOB WITH HIS CURRENT EMPLOYER, TILL HE FINDS A PRUDENT ENOUGH REASON TO QUIT THE JOB!”

i was shaken to my senses with the judge’s declaration.

All were on their foot applauding, especially my creditors and credit card issuers!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the job has gotten into your head.. listen to the song working class hero by John Lennon.. you could check out the lyrics too.. its a perfect fit :)

Renjith said...

hahah... if i had the time to listen to some songs, instead i wud go ;)