Saturday 28 August, 2010

My first experience

Many would have heard of the term, "Alice in wonderland", I saw it yesterday. The occasion is rather dramatic, where by I have been to my family organized visit to a lady's place for a keralite function called, "Pennu kaanal". All Indians, specially Keralites, would be pretty much familiar of these tough phase in every young chaps and gals life :)... Tough, yet funny!!!!

Two previously unknown individuals are expected to evaluate each other, in the broad presence of both of their families... :) But the situation is not actually that bad for the guy, who in this occasion was me. I pity the poor lady, who seemed to be under lot of pressure to act normally, in such an abnormal situation. :)....

Introductions to the occasion started way behind to a month or so before. Even though I publicly despised these kinda atrocities, deep inside the Keralite in me was very much agreeable to one. The idea was to visit a gal's family, in the minimal time, create an impression for myself and also to carry home an impression about the gal. Its more kinda challenge, as one would be aware how well an impression is being created by you. But there were many many nuances which was missed in my fantasies :)

Fun started with my father trying to find a place to park my car. Being a very ordinary skilled driver, and under the huge pressure of the head of the other family watching, my father had tough time to get the car in a position which wouldn't obstruct the complete traffic. I was almost sure that by the time we are back, a part of the car would have to be scrapped off from the road beside :).

Once inside the den and the introduction were through, it was time for the grand entry for the lady! Poor being, under the huge pressure from her family and in the hope to meet the man of her dreams, came with a tray of tea and snacks. She would have had the shock of her life, when the knight in her dreams turned out to be ME!!!! :).... Not that she had seen me before, but this immature boy with an extra terrestrial head!!! :)... the thoughts were so visible in her face... from then on, i made it a point to avoid looking at her face.. all my self-embossed glamor image would have been shattered :)...

The interaction between the families went to various stages, and I found more entertainment in watching them!!! it was as though, the entire purpose of our visit as well as the presence of mine and that young lady was totally forgotten :)....

The various phases were, introduction, interrogation, interlude (for tea and snacks), ego-contemplating, ego-blasting, the various activities the families involved in were fun! I was wondering at my dad proudly presenting his family links to her parents, whom I never knew he ever adored!!! :)... similarly, it seemed like all the big names in and around Kerala were known to either of the families, but point to be noted is none were common :).. If i were to count the relations the elders had, almost half the state would be my uncles/cousins/aunts etc etc..... :)

now don't give that smirk to me.... I am trying to act serious!!!

And the question finally came, even after several warning i had raised to my family before the visit, "have you guys got to anything to talk to each other?". I would bet on any of my previous affairs, that I couldn't understand a gal even after spending 5 - 6 years together and here I am supposed to ... forget it, :)... the concepts are rather funny!! There were many-a-brows raised when my tongue spelled negative! I was suddenly the enemy of the world, CIA, FBI and all were searching for and all mothers in the world detested!!! :).. silence was the best option and now i had to find newer objects to look at!!!! :).. thank God, appooozzz had taken birth!!! :)... he is the sole rescuer for me :)

Out of no-where my Dad had a feeling of the phrase, "familiarity breeds contempt" and the entire meeting was called off! :)... I was still wondering what am i meant to say after this so-called "meeting with the girl"..... My thoughts were briefly distracted by the driving skills of my Dad, and all in the car holding on for their life through the "rush and hush" and the "Onam traffic" of the sleeping town of Trivandrum!!!

The question came all along the car drive as well as the first thing as we landed here!

"Did you like the gal?"

"hah??? Aint it a bit short time for knowing and liking the gal?"

"Why? how much time do you wanna have? You can know her once you get engaged?"

"what's the hurry? the other family, the gal, all has to decide together, nah?"

"Come on, they said you call. That means they liked the guy"

"Pops, don't assume things. And don't hurry. Lets take a thought about call. Vaise were you able to take a call by this meeting?"

"Oh yeah, I liked the gal.. and the family..... And we are okay and going ahead!"

The climax as anything in the entire incident was extremely dramatic :)... I thought, sitting with my family, watching TV, playing on my laptop, listening to songs, talking to my friends, having bath, shitting, .... thought rigorously... convinced myself that marriage is never between individuals, but between families. And if my parents feel so much comfort with hers, I should think on a wider perspective. And apart from the fact that I have had only 2 to 3 words spoken to her, she would be as inconvenient with me, as I would be with her! Trying to act as the decision maker of my life, i made the decision, which my parents have already decided. "okay, let them go ahead", and kept my fingers crossed! :)...

The story didn't end there, though i thought my coffin was nailed!! :)... luckily the gal seemed to have churned up more courage than me and set her foot down... "No, mom, not that skinny bone!!!!" she seemed to have screamed!!! and the much "delayed" (as per my parents) call to the gal's father saw my dad frowning!!! :).. "nothing, they just need some more time to think"!!! :)... such a lovely way to say no!! Why didn't I think of taking more time to think or insisting on the same!!! There are rare few occasions, when gals do show a bit more intelligence that guys, i guess!! :)... And here i am regretting for all those time spent and sms sent for getting myself accustomed to the disoriented condition of mine :)... Anywz, all is well that ends well :)....